Should you take the test

Detailed information can be found at UK Border Agency website

You do not need to take the test if you

  • have already passed the test once and either has the pass result or already submitted the result to the Home Office
  • aged under 18 or over 65 (You should send your passport or birth certificate as evidence of your age with your application)
  • are suffering from a long-term illness or disability that severely restricts mobility and ability to attend language classes
  • have a mental impairment that means you are unable to learn another language
  • a Foreign and Commonwealth citizen on discharge from HM Forces (including a Gurkha);
  • the husband, wife or civil partner of a Foreign and Commonwealth citizen on discharge from HM Forces (including a Gurkha);
  • a victim of domestic violence;
  • the bereaved partner (husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner) of a British citizen or someone who was settled here;
  • a parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of a British citizen or someone who has settled here (under paragraph 317 of the Immigration Rules);
  • a retired person of independent means;
  • a European national or the non-European family member of a European national, making an application under the Free Movement of Persons provisions (not based on the Immigration Rules);
  • a Turkish businessperson under the European Community Association Agreement (ECAA) with Turkey;
  • someone who has spent five years in the UK with permission to stay as a refugee;
  • someone who has spent six years in the UK with discretionary leave;
  • someone who has spent four years in the UK with exceptional leave to remain;
  • someone who has spent five years in the UK with humanitarian protection; or
  • a dependent child of someone in an employment category that preceding the points-based system (listed in paragraphs 128-193 of the Immigration Rules, excluding paragraphs 135I-135K) or of someone who is here as a businessman, self-employed person, investor, writer, composer or artist (paragraphs 200-239 of the Immigration Rules). This includes children who are 18 or over when they apply.

65 Responses to “Should you take the test”

  1. abiir rosunally says:

    hello am on spouse visa which going to expired soon i have a 1 yr old daugther and wondering if i need to take to life in uk test

  2. Nem Thapa says:

    Hi there,

    Is an ex Gurkha exempted from the life in the UK test? I sent several emails to UKBA but has no response. I’ve seen so many ex Gurkhas either obataining ESOL certificate or going for life in the Uk test to apply a citizenship whereas exempt list includes Gurkha. I’m just confused. Appreciate for your advice. Thank you.

  3. Hareem says:

    I’m 17. Can I take Life in the UK test?

  4. saf says:


    a friend of mine wants to apply for citizenship and concern about the life in the UK test. when he was applying for indefinite leave to remain in the UK he took the test and passed it and he was granted indefinite leave to remain, now he is applying for citizenship , the question is does he need to retake the test? your answers will be much appreciated. Thanks

  5. admin says:

    Test is to be taken only once if passed.

  6. S. Thapa says:

    I have a settlement visa and my spouse is British Citizen. I am already in UK for more than one decade and working for British Government, do I still need to take test in order to get the British Passport?

  7. DEANO says:

    Hi there,
    I have been in the Uk for 10 years and I need to apply for my ILR. Do I still need to do the test ?

    kind regards

  8. mary king says:

    my children have indefinite leave to remain, they are above eighteen , they have been attending school from age of 11 yrs, should they take life in uk test

  9. Svetlana says:

    Hi I’m 17 going to be 18 next year March. I have lived in the UK since I was 4, im a European citizen of Latvia but want to get a British Passport. What do I need to get my British passport?

  10. Sharaz says:

    Hi I just want to no that my wife has 2 children does she have to take the life in uk test??children are aged 18mnths and1year

  11. STELLA says:


  12. David says:

    Hi I am 21 years old and I have an EEA Family member visa. I have lived in the Uk for 5 years now. Would I be able to apply for the Uk citizenship? Or Do I have to take the the Uk test?

  13. Dinesh Patel says:

    Dear Sir,

    I have passed life in the UK test on 27 September 2012. I am in the process of preparing my application for ILR.

    March or October 2013, UKBA announced New Life in the UK test to get ILR or citizenship.

    In SET (O) application form Section 4, page 15 of 76 states “From 28 October 2013, to qualify for indefinite leave to remain, all applicants aged 18-64 must meet a revised knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement.”

    I would like to know validity of my old (Before March / October 2013) exam result to get ILR. Still it valid or i need to give again new exam.



  14. Sam says:

    My husband came to England on a HSMP visa and me and my kids came here after. In dec 2010 me and my children got our Indefinite but I didn’t do the Life in UK test. I’ve also passed my ESOL Level 1. Do I have to do the Life in the UK test?

  15. Govind Sharma says:

    This information is for all Gurkhas who have made queries above.

    It clearly says in the website that you do not need to take the test if you are a Gurkha or the husband, wife or civil partner of Gurkha.

Leave a Reply